Friday, March 26, 2010

Tea, yogurt and more!

As Ceilidh mentioned yesterday, we've been doing some pretty fun creative projects lately, so I'll tell you about a couple that I did, along with some food that I cooked the other night!

First was a (very late) birthday present for my Dad. He's a pretty big tea drinker, so after thinking about a few different options I decided to make some tea as "from scratch" as I could. No, I didn't grow the tea, but I mixed up a couple different black teas with cinnamon, cloves, a touch of pepper, and a few dried cranberries. Then, I put that all into tea bags which I sewed up and put on little tags. Finally, Ceilidh covered an empty tea box with brown paper, and I put all the tea bags inside.















Later, I decorated it a bit, put the ingredient list and a description of the tea, and finally my parents' address and sent the box in the mail just like that. I called it "Shelter From the Storm" because my dad is a big Dylan fan, and because the name fit the tea pretty well.

A few days ago I made something that we've been meaning to make for a while: Yogurt! It's easier than you could ever imagine, and takes less time than you'd think. Use whole milk to get nice thick yogurt, add granola and honey and enjoy!



Heat one quart of milk to 180°F. Cool to 113°F. Mix a bit of the milk with a couple tablespoons of yogurt. Add that mixture back into the milk. Let sit in a warm place for at least 5 hours. Refrigerate.




A couple years ago when I was living in France my Dad would constantly tell me that I should go out for omelette et frites. The other night, that's what we had for dinner! It's a quick, easy meal. Deep frying the fries takes a while, but if you don't have the time, you can bake them, or just pan fry the potatoes, for a less oily meal. Bon appetit!

1 comment: